Princess Libby -- She's all that!

Libby - Six Years Old (July 2010)

Music


Thursday, June 17, 2010

Libby's Life ...in cakes!

As we approach July, I begin the preparations for Libby's 6th Birthday! The hardest part is deciding on her birthday theme and picking a cake. Not just picking a cake, but picking out a cake I can make! My mom always made our birthday cakes when we were little...it was just a chocolate sheet cake but we loved it. So I decided to take this cake-making one step further when Libby celebrated her 1st birthday. I tried to get creative! Now I've turned it into a tradition! I usually just pick something out FOR Libby, depending on her interests and so far she's loved them all. This year she requested a Barbie Mermaid Tale cake. So I have been researching, shopping, and looking at lots of pictures of cakes and my friends at work are starting to think I'm crazy! Which brings me to this blog post...Libby's previous birthday cakes! I'd like to think I'm making progress, especially considering I only do one cake a year!


What other theme would I have picked for Libby's first birthday?
Yes, a castle cake for my little Princess!
I was a little naive, as I went for taste instead of function.
I choose cool whip icing which I love on cake, but unfortunately its not very sturdy for decorating! I was still proud of the cake anyway!

I keep thinking Libby will request this cake again so I can make it better!
It did fool my mom...she thought I paid big bucks for a professional made cake! Haha!


Since Libby's birthday is so close to 4th of July, I chose
"Red, White and Two!"
for her 2nd birthday. I thought it was quite clever!
Barbie was an obvious choice!
Meet, "Independence Day Barbie!"
Haha I crack myself up!


Libby was fascinated with animals, so I made a "Zoo Cake" for her 3rd Birthday.
I thought this cake turned out really well...probably because I really only iced the cake, the other decorations were ready-made!



"Libby's Butterfly Birthday" was the theme of her 4th birthday.
I got the idea from a Fancy Nancy book, which Libby just
loves, loves, loves!



Right about now you're probably thinking I suddenly developed mad cake skills from the previous year. I wish I could take credit for this cake, but I ordered it from the bakery. However I did put the Tinkerbell fairies on the cake, so I can take a little credit. During the time of Libby's 5th birthday I was having back trouble and could hardly walk. I think I shed a few tears when I ordered this cake. It could have been due to back pain, but most likely it was due to the fact that I couldn't make it myself!
Now we are about 3 weeks away from Libby's 6th birthday and I'm ready! I've got all the props for the cake, a sketch of the cake (hopefully the cake turns out better than my sketch because it kind of resembles a stick figure cake!) and I'M FEELING GOOD! I think this might be the best cake yet! Stay tuned for pictures!

No comments: